top of page


  • Emily Kershen

Conservation Funding for Farmers & Ranchers Available

Farmers and ranchers interested in funding to help with the cost of implementing conservation practices in 2019 that provide environmental benefits have until Dec. 21, 2018, to apply.

Karen A. Woodrich, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service state conservationist in Kansas, announced that farmers and ranchers interested in the Environmental Quality Incentives Program should apply by Dec. 21, 2018, for funding in 2019. Applications are being taken at all USDA Service Centers in Kansas.

NRCS provides funding and technical assistance to help farmers and ranchers implement conservation practices that provide environmental benefits to help sustain agricultural operations. Conservation program participation is voluntary and helps private landowners and operators defray the costs of installing conservation practices.

Kansas Forest Service supports farmers and ranchers interested in managing their forests through the EQIP for Forestland Health program. Forests, woodlands, the renovation of existing windbreaks and planting of new windbreaks are projects that may qualify for financial assistance if identified as a resource concern. The program is particularly aimed at the health and condition of trees in windbreaks and forests, plus soil erosion that impacts water associated with excessive sediment.

KFS district foresters will prepare a required forest manage plan or Forest Stewardship Plan at no cost to the applicant. Plans are not required before application, but they can speed up the process. NRCS will refer the applicant to a KFS district forester who will visit the property to develop a management plan that guides the project. Learn more about the available funding and assistance at

NRCS accepts conservation program applications year-round, but applications for 2019 funding consideration must be submitted by the Dec. 21, 2018 deadline. Applications made after Dec. 21 will be considered in the next funding cycle. Additional information is available on the Kansas NRCS website under the Programs tab or contact your local NRCS service center.

For more information:

Cassie Wandersee,

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page